JCT DB16 Contractor’s Obligations Checklist
Before signing a JCT Design and Build Contract, as a Contractor you need to check you understand the key obligations. An easy way to get up to speed is by referring to our suite of checklists or templates. For your convenience, we are providing you with various JCT Contract templates and checklists that you may download for free.
This checklist provides a guide on the key obligations within each clause of the 2016 edition of the JCT Design and Build Contract.
The JCT Design and Build Contract is designed for construction projects where the contractor carries out both the design and the construction work. This is suitable for design and build projects of varying size and complexity, but generally is suitable for:-
- Large or smaller scale projects, but generally where detailed provisions are necessary,
- The Contractor is responsible for completing the design, the works, and the employer provides details outlining their requirements,
- The price and payment structure is based on a lump sum with interim stage payments,
- Provisions might be needed for collaborative working, sustainability, advance payment, bonds (advance payment, off-site materials, retention), third party rights and collateral warranties, and
- The works are for either private and public sector projects.
The Contractor's key obligation is to 'complete the design for the Works and carry out and complete the construction of the Works’.Use this JCT DB16 Contractor’s Obligations Checklists to help you make sure you have covered all the bases in your next JCT Contract